Licensure of school social workers in North Carolina is handled by the Licensure Division in the Department of Public Instruction, upon recommendation of DPI-approved social work programs. Therefore, we are an approved social work program that provides the school social work license:
- Graduate Level "M"
- Undergraduate Level "A"
School Social Work FAQ
Who should take the Social Work in Schools course?
- If you are currently employed as a school social worker and you are seeking a school social work license.
- If you are enrolled or have successfully completed a school social work field placement.
- If you have a BSW or MSW from a CSWE accredited program.
NOTE: The school social work course without employment as a school social worker or before completion of a school social work field placement will not meet the guidelines for the NCDPI School Social Work License.
Should you take the graduate or undergraduate course?
- We highly recommend you take the course that corresponds to your highest level of education.
- Additionally, it is recommended that you check with the school that employs you to find their specific requirements.
How much does it cost to take the course?
- Tuition rates are subject to change, therefore please see this link for the latest information.
How do I register for the course?
- If you are not a student at NC State you must first register as a Non-Degree Studies Student (NDS).
- During registration, you will select to take the course during the fall, spring, or summer. Note, the SW 412/512 course is only offered online.
Please contact NC State University Lecturer Darlene Johnson with any inquiries regarding this course.